Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Tourists

Monday morning we were able to meet two more ministry partners doing wonderful things for the people in this region. They each have very unique opportunities, some we'll be able to share with you later.

We have become official tourists the past day and a half. Yesterday we shopped at a couple of places on our own then today Charity and Molly took us to a couple of great places. There are more than a few favorite spots. You guys know I love coffee, and I really love good coffee. So today we went to a place where they roast it. I learned a lot. They have what they call robust coffee. That is they 'cure' for like 5 years. The Aribika coffee is smoother, with less acid. Well, that's because it cures for 8 years. What? You gotta be kidding. I had no idea. The owner is 2nd or 3rd generation, operating in the same place with the same old equipment. He was a hoot. I asked about different roasts, like strong, medium, etc. "No, we have one roast, regular." I see. From what I can tell, it's maybe a medium roast. I'll add a photo of the beans that are curing. I'm not sure that's what they call it, but it's in bags for years, so I'm going with 'curing'.

We went to a volcano, and looked in on the crater. Sulphur was a little strong, but hey, it's a volcano. There was of coarse a jillion shops right there to buy anything you might ever need. It was fun to watch these girls do a little old fashioned bartering. I was the spectator and holder of the cash.

Lunch was at a fabulous place. All these open air bungalows where you sit on a mat and eat great food. Awesome atmosphere with waterfalls and tropical surroundings. Both cameras got locked in the car, with the driver no where to be found. So, we'll let the beauty of that place stay within our minds.

It's been a great day and a good ending to a wonderful time in Indonesia. Tomorrow we pack and say goodbye to our new friends. We leave Jakarta at 10 pm so there's a chance I'll check in during the day tomorrow before we start the long journey home.

No comments: