Thursday, November 13, 2008

Narita Japan

We left Bandung Wednesday afternoon, and are just now with Internet connection at the airport in Japan. Pete, the director took us on a fast tour of Jakarta before we boarded our 10pm flight to Japan. Seriously people, I know I've mentioned the traffic more than a few times, but as my mother would say, "I never..." Well, she never really finished the statement, maybe that's the idea. We've had an exceptional driver to take care of us.

Pete said that a trip into Jakarta was usually rewarded with a meal at the local Chili's. I ordered my favorite little nacho appetizer which is ONLY good because of the jalapenos, that didn't make it to Indo. It was great to spend some time with Pete and have good discussion.

Didn't sleep to well on the all-night flight. So as not to mess up the sleep thing too much (like that's going to matter real soon) upon arrival in Japan Thurs a.m., we did the 90 minute train ride into Tokyo and jumped on a silly tour bus. Nothing like trying to blend in. Let's just wear t-shirts that say, "Hey, we're stupid tourists and proud of it." I kept telling Laurie to just blend in. Every male in Japan is about 5 feet tall and wears a suit. What's that about? The train station in Tokyo is a culture all it's own. After the obnoxious 'stare at the tourists in the big bus' experience, we found Starbucks and a place to have some Japanese soup for lunch. We saw a few of the sights and were back at the hotel in time for our overpriced, but tasty supper.

Now we're approaching this odd time thing. We're spending the afternoon in the airport, not bad here though. Then we fly out at 5:30pm today, Friday and arrive in LA Friday at 10am. After our few hours there, we finally arrive in Flag at about 5:30pm Friday, that's today, that's when we leave here. Is this where they got the idea of the Twilight Zone? I know people do this all the time and it's just normal. But not for us. I think I'll be fine for Sunday at Grace. If not, I may have to remind everyone of our somewhat abused slogan, "it's all about grace".

Looking forward to the trip home. And looking forward to being home. I may post again from LAX. Blessings...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well, my friend, you certainly sound as if you are professionally relaxed and confident as you traveled through the world! How exciting! And the coffee plantations had to be one of the many highlights! From what I understand the farmers are some pretty special people in what they do. The only thing I have to say, and I do know you were tired, overwhelmed, blah, blah, blah... So I can overlook it, but the picture of you going down the escalator has me concerned. Denim jacket/ shirt with jeans...?Rethink that one, okay? Two denims don't make a right. Hey, I am just telling you in LOVE, from your sister. Love you both and prayed for your safe return! -Judy