Wednesday, November 5, 2008

It's early Thursday morning here. Last night I wasn't able to send out my update, so here goes.

Yesterday we both spent time teaching in classrooms. Laurie helped in two Spanish classes and the third grade and I assisted in a Bible class. I had a real good meeting with the Director of the school and am looking forward to a follow up time with him as well. So, for lunch we met with another family doing translation work. It is an amazing story, that again I must say, I have to wait and tell you in person. They fed us another great Indonesian meal and then showed us some of their work. It was a real treat to meet three men from an island who are working with them on a translation for their language. There are over 600 languages throughout this country spread out on 17,000 islands.

Charity, our host, had us over for a wonderful Indonesian meal to end the day. We spent some time with her and her roommate and another couple from the school.

Have I mentioned the traffic? It's not like I've been all over the world, but driving throughout Mexico and some in Ecuador, I thought I would be ready for most anything. As we were on our way back from the translator's home yesterday we were in seriously congested traffic. There are probably more little motorbikes, kind of like mopeds, but also like small motorcycles weaving in and out of cars. I'm not sure what the rules are, or if there are any, but it's hard to not be a little nervous. Yesterday, we only hit one lady on the arm with our side view mirror. She had it coming I'm sure. I can't imagine walking anywhere near these roads, let alone, like on the road. Our driver is a gifted soul.

Well, better get going with the day. The pace is starting to get to us a little bit, but I think we have some time off this afternoon as the retreat starts tomorrow and I'll need some prep time for that. Thanks for your encouraging words and praying for us.

No comments: